What is the most flavorful (and easiest) way to make enough protein for 5+ meals? This shredded chicken, by my wife Kirin, will be your new favorite prep-ahead recipe.
This chicken is so juicy and delicious – and it is easy to make! You can use it for salads, soups, sandwiches, tacos, etc.
Our son loves the ease of bringing sandwiches for school lunch (he doesn’t have a gluten sensitivity, and we try to make bread from scratch whenever we can). However, he doesn’t like the taste of traditional lunch meat. And can you blame him? It’s usually filled with chemicals, preservatives, and nitrates. And when was the last time processed, sliced turkey tasted like your turkey leftovers from Thanksgiving?
So for the past few months, he has loved chicken sandwiches using real chicken! (Funny how that sounds like a novel concept). Bake 6-8 breasts, and then shredded them. It’s so delicious and easy to use for all of your meals! Here’s the recipe!
- 1 ½ – 2 packs of Chicken breasts (6-8 large breasts)
- 1 medium onion
- Salt, pepper, herbs (we like using basil and/or oregano)
- 3-4 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 cup chicken stock/broth
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Place the chicken breasts into a 9×13 pan (glass pans are great).
- Cut the onion and sprinkle on top of the chicken.
- Add salt, pepper, herbs, and broth.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 90 minutes – 2 hours depending on your oven and the thickness of your chicken breasts.
- When cooked to where the chicken juices are clear (NOT pink), then remove and use tongs or a fork to shred into smaller pieces.
- Store in a glass container with locking lid for up to 5 days.
Hopefully, this inspires you to make something like this so your week’s worth of meals (and meal planning) becomes 10x easier (and it’s healthy!)