I love Shepard’s Pie! Instead of topping it with potatoes, you can also play around with using mashed cauliflower. You would still need to have a carb for your lunch or dinner serving if you take this option though.
This is great for fall or winter. And it tastes just as good – if not better – heated up the next day. It’s satisfying, filling, and makes your home smell incredible.
Lunch = 6 servings, or Dinner = 4 Servings
- 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey meat
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 2 cups sliced carrots, sliced
- 1/4 cup celery, sliced
- 1 large zucchini, cubed
- 3 cups cooked, mashed sweet potatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Sauté the garlic, shallot and onions together in the oil.
- When the onions are translucent, add in the turkey meat, carrots, celery, and zucchini and continue to cook until the veggies are cooked most of the way. They don’t have to be completely cooked because they will bake more in the oven. Just a bit tender is good.
- When that is finished cooking, transfer everything to a 9×13 casserole dish.
- Smooth the potatoes over the meat in the casserole dish. Drag a fork lightly across the top to “rough up” the surface a bit for baking.
- Bake at 350 degrees F. for approximately 30 minutes or until it’s nice and bubbly.
- Cut into 12 sections and allow to cool a bit before serving.
- Enjoy! Makes about 6 lunch servings (or 4 dinner servings).