- 4 Peppers of your choice (Red = sweet, Green = bitter, Yellow & Orange = neutral-sweet)
- 1 pound Ground turkey (extra lean)
- ½ onion, chopped
- ½ cup of beef or vegetable stock (we like Better Than Bouillion)
- 15.5 oz, can of black beans (no salt), drained and rinsed
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp of tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp cumin to taste
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- Optional: Oregano or chives
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Cut bell peppers in half. Lightly spray cookie sheet with avocado oil and bake for 15 minutes at 425.
- While they are baking, saute the onions on medium-high heat in a bit of olive oil until translucent.
- Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add turkey, stir every couple of minutes, and cook until only ½ of it is pink.
- Add tomato paste, broth, and the chili, cumin, and paprika.
- Mix in the can of beans once the liquids have simmered down
- Put the mixture in the bell peppers and bake for another 10-15 minutes. *The photo is from after cooking the meat, but before baking all of it together again.
- After you take them out of the oven, top with a bit of cilantro (optional), or chives.
**If you aren’t sensitive to dairy, you can also add a teaspoon of a fat-free, high protein yogurt, like Siggi’s.
Kirin & Celestina Christianson