Most of the foods I make are simple and only have a few ingredients. This recipe is a little more complex yet it still only has a few inexpensive ingredients. It’s great to make a large batch because it uses “unlimited foods” – which means it’s a great snack or addition to any meal when you are following the Adrenal Reset Diet.
I took a comprehensive classical cooking course to learn more about cooking techniques and this is a dairy-free variation on one of the recipes I learned there. So I can’t take credit for this recipe, but it’s a great lesson that when you see (and taste!) something you love, but you want it to fit into your lifestyle, you can easily make small changes so it works with your health plan. Enjoy!
- 2 Red, yellow, or orange peppers cut into long, wide sections
- 2 Eggplants, peeled & cut into long, 1/2” sections – try to get eggplants that are straighter so you can get longer sections
- 1 package of cherry/grape tomatoes quartered
- 1 onion – chopped OR 5 chopped shallots
- 1 bag Spinach
- 3 garlic cloves
- Avocado Oil spray (is great for high-heat cooking while keeping the flavor neutral)
- Paprika, salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Roast peppers for 25 minutes. Peel charred skin when done. Then cut into long, thin strips.
- When those are about 10 minutes from completion, slice the eggplant. (Like apples, eggplants brown soon after you cut them. So you want to cut immediately before cooking. If you are cutting a lot at a time, then wrap sections in parchment paper to keep air exposure to a minimum until you are ready to cook).
- Lightly spray eggplant slices with avocado oil.
- Grill eggplant slices for a few minutes on each side (until they are malleable, but still firm – 3-4 minutes per side.
- While those are grilling, sauté the onions/shallots until translucent, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add garlic, tomatoes, spinach and sauté until spinach is wilted. Set aside.
- When the eggplant is malleable but firm, lay on a flat surface. Put spinach mixture + peppers inside. Roll up like an eggroll.
- Bake on parchment paper for 15-20 minutes.
- When it’s done, sprinkle with paprika, salt, and pepper.
* For an extra pop of flavor you can sauté tomatoes and garlic with a little vegetable broth and top this mixture onto the eggplant rolls just before serving.
Best served warm.