This tasty treat is perfect for a summertime BBQ with friends and family, or a quick meal for yourself. Add a large garden salad and cooked quinoa for a balanced meal and repurpose any leftovers for breakfast or lunch the next day.
Chicken is an excellent source of B vitamins, particularly niacin. When your body is deficient in niacin, it will use sixty tryptophan molecules (precursors to serotonin and melatonin) to make one niacin molecule. This decreases your available tryptophan and reduces the vital neurotransmitters, serotonin and melatonin, that are responsible for regulating mood and sleep.
Minty Chicken-Zuchinni Kebobs
- 1 recipe Pepper-Mint Dressing (see below)
- 2 to 3 organic chicken breasts, cut into chunks
- 4 or 5 small zucchini, cut into thick rounds
- bamboo skewers
HINT: I like to add more vegetables like tomatoes, onions, peppers and mushrooms.
- Prepare the Pepper-Mint Dressing. Set out a 9 x 13-inch glass baking dish for marinating kebobs.
- Alternately stick the chunks of chicken and vegetable rounds onto the bamboo skewers. Place skewers into the glass pan and pour the mint marinade over them. Turn them a few times to coat evenly. Cover, refrigerate and let marinate for 30 minutes to 4 hours.
- Heat your grill to medium-high. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes, turning 2 to 3 times during cooking. Yields: 6 to 8 servings
- 1/2 cup packed fresh spearmint leaves
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 4 to 5 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 small shallot (optional)
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Add all ingredients except for olive oil to a blender. Blend on high until very smooth, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the olive oil, blend on low speed until just incorporated. Store dressing in the refrigerator for up to 10 days.
- Yield: About 1 3/4 cups.