If you’ve ever wanted something that TASTES like it’s fried, but you also want to eat healthy, then you are going to love these cauliflower “potato” pancakes!
One of the things Dr. C has been advocating lately is to stop being so scared of food. He argues that ALL food can be good AND ‘bad’ depending on who is consuming it. So I’ve been reintroducing some foods that I had tested as being allergic to in the distant past. Including eggs.
Whenever you have avoided a food for any length of time your tummy will freak out if you go overboard when you reintroduce it into your diet. You’ll want to start slowly.
So for this recipe, rather than eating a whole egg all by itself, I used cage-free egg whites mixed into a recipe – and there are 4 servings. Not only did it taste delicious, but I didn’t have any issues from the egg whites. And I’ll wait for another week or two before trying something else with egg in it so my body has time to adjust. If you are vegan, try an egg substitute.
Without further ado, here is the recipe:
8 Patties – Serves 4
- 1 large head of cauliflower
- ½ cup Gluten-free panko crumbs (I love Japanese style)
- ⅓ cup Egg whites
- ¼ Onion – diced
- 1-2 cloves of garlic
- Fresh or freeze-dried herbs (for this I used parsley and sage) to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Saute onions until they become translucent.
- Then add garlic. Stir for 2 minutes and put into a large mixing bowl to cool.
- Chop and juice your cauliflower.
- *(Sounds funny, but if you have a juicer, I’ve found juicing your cauliflower is the easiest way to get all the moisture out of it. Juice it. Throw away the juice. And only use the pulp. Or you can do the traditional way by using your food processor on it, cooking it, then squeezing out the liquid by hand using a cheesecloth or dish towel. Your choice)
- Mix the cauliflower pulp in with the onions and garlic.
- Add herbs, salt and pepper, panko breadcrumbs, and egg whites.
- Mix everything together.
- Shape into patties. *1 large head of cauliflower should give you about 8 patties.
- Put 2 tbs of oil into a skillet and turn up the heat to medium-high. *(I like avocado oil because it can cook in high temperatures and it still has a neutral flavor)
- Cook until golden brown. About 5 minutes for each side. *You may need to lightly spray the pan with oil so they don’t stick when you turn them over
- Best when served warm.